UAW workers reject CNH offer, extending 8-month strike

More than 1,000 striking CNH Industrial workers in Wisconsin and Iowa rejected the “last, best, and final offer” from the maker of construction and agricultural equipment Saturday night, extending their eight-month stoppage, according to a report from the Associated Press.

In a statement, the United Auto Workers union announced the result of the vote by members who work for CNH and said the union’s bargaining committee “will meet to discuss next steps to take with” the company.

It was the first vote on an offer since the workers walked off the job months ago. The UAW said last week that it had decided to put the offer before members but didn’t offer details.

Workers at the plants in Racine, Wisconsin and Burlington, Iowa, previously rejected at the start of the strike a three-year deal that included 18.5% raises because of concerns that the proposed raises wouldn’t cover soaring inflation and health insurance costs. The UAW has not provided many updates on what CNH has offered since the strike began last May.