Spontaneous combustion blamed for Madison deli fire

A Sunday evening fire at Stalzy’s Deli on Atwood Avenue is being blamed on spontaneous combustion.

According to a City of Madison Fire Department report, towels that had been washed and dried at a local laundromat — but still contained cooking oil residue — never cooled down when they were placed under a prep table in the restaurant’s kitchen. The towels ignited hours later.

The restaurant was closed at the time and remains closed until further notice. Damage estimates have not yet been released.