Registration open for Know Your Rights: Girls Inc. Bill of Rights Conference
Girls Inc. will be hosting a Know Your Rights: Girls Inc. Bill of Rights Conference this August. The event, previously scheduled for May 13, has been postponed, with the official new date to be determined. The conference will be open to Madison-area girls in grades 1–12 as well as nonbinary youth.
The event will include food and activities centered on leadership development. Throughout the day, participants will learn about the six key points of the Girls Inc. Bill of Rights, which state girls have the right to:
- Be themselves and resist gender stereotypes;
- Express themselves with originality and enthusiasm;
- Take risks, strive freely, and take pride in success;
- Accept and appreciate their bodies;
- Have confidence in themselves, and be safe in the world; and
- Prepare for interesting work and economic independence.
Attendees will be taken through various information- and activity-based sessions that address each point in the Bill of Rights. Activities include a panel of community leaders, a dance party, an obstacle course, and a career “circus” or fair.
Conference egistration is available online.
Editor’s note: A previous version of this story was published on May 2.