Nitty Gritty fire damage estimated at $150,000

A fire that damaged the Nitty Gritty restaurant and bar at 223 N. Frances St. is estimated to have caused about $150,000 in damage, according to a Wisconsin State Journal report. A Madison Fire Department spokesperson said the cause was likely improperly discarded smoking materials and that people were observed smoking near the dumpster multiple times on Nov. 20, the day of the fire. About 70 customers and staff were evacuated on the night of the fire but no one was injured.