Jeff Hanthorn, Miron Construction Co. Inc.
IB’s Professional of the Week is the premier way to meet Dane County’s professionals. This week features Jeff Hanthorn, regional risk control manager, Miron Construction Co. Inc.
1. What are the most challenging and rewarding aspects of your job and why?
The most challenging, yet rewarding, aspect of my career has been understanding personalities. Taking the time to understand people and what motivates them promotes a positive outcome for all.
2. Who do you look up to or admire in business and why?
Joe Givens. She gave me my first opportunity based on a handshake. Joe had command of a male-dominated industry. As a mentor, she showed me how to be fair, firm, and professional at all times.
3. What has been the high point of your career so far?
Building relationships that allow me to grow personally and professionally. I am fortunate to work with people who are willing to share their craft so that together we can make a safer work environment.
4. Thinking back on your career, what advice would you give your 21-year-old self?
Every generation has something to offer regardless of age. Every interaction is an opportunity to learn from or to teach others.
5. What would you say are the best things about living and working in Dane County?
Working in Dane County offers large city opportunities with a small-town feel.
6. Do you have any secret talents or abilities that people would be surprised to discover?
It’s not a talent, but I do enjoy drawing animals with funny stories that make my daughter laugh and help her imagination grow. I leave her a silly note or drawing every day before I go to work.
7. What are your guilty pleasures?
I eat on the go. I really admire a particular gas station chain and the food selection they offer. From a health perspective, I would not recommend this lifestyle to others.
Click here to sign up for the free IB ezine – your twice-weekly resource for local business news, analysis, voices, and the names you need to know. If you are not already a subscriber to In Business magazine, be sure to sign up for our monthly print edition here.