Gas leak contained at State Street business

Madison firefighters responded to the 600 block of State Street around 9:37 a.m. Tuesday after a 911 caller reported a natural gas line was hit during construction activities inside one of the buildings. The affected businesses appeared to be Pure Green and the City Bar.

Engine Co. 1 and Ladder Co. 1 responded to investigate, according to a statement from the fire department. Madison police shut down traffic to the 600 block of State Street as fire crews evacuated property and nearby businesses. Firefighters forced entry to a neighboring business, where the gas meter feeding the broken line was located. They were able to shut down the gas meter and contain the leak. MGE arrived on scene within minutes to assist.

Once gas service was shut down, and the leak contained, firefighters set up fans to ventilate the businesses and clear the air. The street was reopened, and fire crews cleared from the call, at 10:29 a.m.