Friday Workers Memorial Day will honor those lost in the workplace
According to a press release from the South Central Federation of Labor (SCFL), a Workers Memorial Day this Friday will remember those who have suffered and died in the workplace; the event will also help organize the fight for safe jobs.
Several speakers will share at the memorial, including:
- SCFL President Kevin Gundlach;
- Pastor Jamie Almquist of Glenwood Moravian Church;
- Madison Mayor Satya Rhodes Conway;
- OSHA Area Director Chad Greenwood;
- State Rep. Lisa Subeck;
- IAFF, Local 311, and Professional Firefighters of Wisconsin President Mitchell Mahlon; and
- Wisconsin Secretary of State Sarah Godlewski.
Gov. Evers, U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin, Lieutenant Gov. Sara Rodriguez, and U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan will also deliver statements. An SEIU union nurse, OPEIU union member, and Worker Justice Wisconsin representative are anticipated to share as well.
Workers will read the names of those who never made it home, with a moment of silence and musical tribute to follow. The memorial will take place at 11 a.m. at the Madison Labor Temple grounds on 1602 S. Park St.