Atwood’s former Norway Center to be revived

Brothers John and Jake DeHaven have purchased a historic building at 2262 Winnebago St. and hope to turn it into a breakfast and lunch café, and live entertainment venue by night, according to a report in the Wisconsin State Journal.

The building, built by Vogel Bros. Building Co. in 1928, operated for 56 years as the Norway Center, home of the Sons of Norway, a nonprofit fraternal group whose membership has dwindled over the years. Reportedly, the group will relocate to Trinity Lutheran Church just a few blocks away.

The DeHavens — grandsons of Droster “Doc” DeHaven, a longtime and well-known Madison jazz musician — would like to open the yet-unnamed establishment this fall.