IBMadison.com’s most-read stories of 2019
Whether it was business closings, legal troubles, or haunted buildings, we look back at the stories that most piqued our readers’ interest this year.
It was another busy year for businesses in and around Greater Madison, and even if some of the region’s biggest news stories weren’t explicitly about business — the MGE transformer explosion, a Madison school security guard first losing and then regaining his job after repeating a student’s use of a racial slur, and the polar vortex, just to name a few — our coverage area still saw a number of new businesses open, old businesses close, and a surprising number of business scandals to keep things interesting. And, if our most-read articles are any indication, our readers’ tastes run the gamut.
On the eve of a brand new year and all its possibilities, we look back at our top feature articles, photo galleries, Business Report stories, and blogs by page views at IBMadison.com.
Top feature stories
- Epic’s MyChart takes aim at medical sticker shock
- 10 common phrases (and a few extras) that no one should say at work
- 2019 Commercial Design Awards: You've got personality!
- 2019 40 Under 40: An impressive class
- Banking on hemp
- 4 startups in, UW senior has no plans to stop building
- Executive of the Year: For Gonnering, freedom is DAM good management
- The 7 most haunted businesses in Madison
- UW Credit Union launches new brand identity
- Succession, Gordon Flesch Co. style
- Nordic’s new HQ revealed
- Annual Attic Angel sale
- Attic Angel turns 130
- Hotel Indigo opens on East Wash
- Sneak peek at proposed SSM Health-South Madison Campus
- 40 Under 40 Reunion
- SBCP employees give back
- A peek inside Summit's new HQ
- Toasting the 40 Under 40
- Grand reopening in Middleton
Top Business Report stories
- Waunakee man admits to Ponzi scheme
- Middleton business owner convicted of child sex assault
- Verona restaurant closes
- Waunakee could face second lawsuit from Terrence Wall
- Men’s store closing in Middleton
- Class-action suit filed against Madison mall owner
- Madison-based BouMatic fires CEO, launches suit
- Lindsay, Stone & Briggs to close
- Pizza places merge in Middleton
- Madison Club to remove wallpaper after complaints
Most-read blog posts
- Lordy, lordy, Epic is 40!
- Effective leadership: The 5 drivers of success
- Snow day: Do I pay my employees?
- Beyond the balance sheet: Tips for a successful merger
- Missing the point about Foxconn
- You probably don’t need this popular annuity product
- What you need to know about the legal implications of data scraping
- 5 drivers for professional and personal success
- Making the connection with new bus service to Sun Prairie
- 10 portfolio strategies to help save on your income tax bill
Click here to sign up for the free IB ezine — your twice-weekly resource for local business news, analysis, voices, and the names you need to know. If you are not already a subscriber to In Business magazine, be sure to sign up for our monthly print edition here.