Mar 9, 201509:34 AMOpen Mic
Send us your blog for consideration!
How well do you know worker rights? Take the employment law poster quiz
(page 1 of 2)
A worker’s right to minimum wage, overtime pay, and a safe work environment certainly is no secret. In fact, employees should be reminded of these rights every time they enter the workplace or stop by the break room.
Every business needs to conspicuously display employment law posters outlining employee rights. These notices contain key elements of the Fair Labor Standards Act, Occupational Safety and Health Act, and other applicable employment laws. However, do you know what these key elements are?
Test yourself to see how well you know the employment law details that are spelled out on federal posters.
1. The federal minimum wage rate of $7.25 per hour has been in effect since:
- Jan. 1, 1990
- July 24, 2007
- Jan. 1, 2009
- July 24, 2009
2. An employer may be assessed civil money penalties of up to ______ for each willful or repeated violation of federal minimum wage or overtime pay laws.
3. Under the Employee Polygraph Protection Act, employers are generally prohibited from requiring an employee to take a:
- Drug test
- Breathalyzer test for alcohol
- Test requiring use of a calculator
- Lie-detector test
4. True or False: An employee may request the Occupational Safety and Health Administration to inspect the workplace if he or she believes unsafe and unhealthful conditions are present.
5. Employees can file a complaint with OSHA within _____ days of retaliation by an employer for making safety and health complaints.