Peter W. Stebbins, Fairway Independent Mortgage Corporation
IB’s Professional of the Week is the premier way to meet Dane County’s professionals. This week features Peter W. Stebbins, director of business development, Fairway Independent Mortgage Corporation.
1. What are the most challenging and rewarding aspects of your job and why?
The most challenging are living with and trying to figure out all of the government regulations (i.e., CFPB and TRID) placed on the mortgage-lending industry. The most rewarding is helping a family achieve the American dream of owning a home.
2. Who do you look up to or admire in business and why?
Tom Bunbury, president/owner of Bunbury & Associates Realtors. Tom runs a very special and respected real estate company with highly trained agents.
3. What has been the high point of your career so far?
The high point so far has been being able to assist in securing/adding some very significant lenders to our team.
4. Thinking back on your career, what advice would you give your 21-year-old self?
Very simple — if you say you’re going to do something, do it.
5. What would you say are the best things about living and working in Dane County?
I’ve lived in Madison off and on since 1946. The quality of life, the quality of the people, the university (both in terms of education and the sports teams), the lakes, and the four seasons can’t be beat.
6. Do you have any secret talents or abilities that people would be surprised to discover?
I don’t know if working 50-plus hours per week at 81½ years old qualifies or not. I just love working with and getting to know people.
7. What are your guilty pleasures?
Attending or watching UW football and basketball games, and the Green Bay Packers. I haven’t missed many games in the past 65-plus years.
Click here to sign up for the free IB ezine – your twice-weekly resource for local business news, analysis, voices, and the names you need to know. If you are not already a subscriber to In Business magazine, be sure to sign up for our monthly print edition here.