Jul 14, 201403:04 PMOpen Mic
Send us your blog for consideration!
One Get Fit challenger’s 15 most eye-opening experiences
(page 1 of 2)
Ten professionals and 10 teams are competing in the 2014 Get Fit Challenge, a spinoff of IB’s popular Fittest Executive Challenge. Who will earn the healthiest marks? Follow along on Facebook and then find out at the In Business Expo & Conference on Oct. 22. This week, IB checks in with Becky Hubing, corporate digital marketing manager for Great Wolf Lodge, who is competing in the individual challenge.
Well, here we are with less than two months to go in the Get Fit Challenge, and I can safely say it’s been quite an adventure. When I started the challenge, I was rather sedentary (outside of chasing two kids) and was definitely not very health conscious when it came to my diet (what do you mean pizza isn’t healthy?).
As I reflect back on where I’ve been and how far I’ve come, I start to think about all the habits I’ve incorporated into my life, workouts I’ve successfully completed (actually, “lived through” might be more appropriate), and things I’ve tried for the first time, all because of the challenge.
In fact, I’ve compiled a list that I affectionately call “The Things I Never Thought I’d Think to Do, Try, or Discover”:
- Flipped tractor tires across the gym floor. (Those bad boys are big and heavy!)
- Ever see the gigantic ropes on The Biggest Loser? Yep, I’ve done those. (Fun for about the first 15 seconds, then you can’t feel your arms.)
- Completed an H.I.I.T (high-intensity interval training) outdoor class in 90-degree heat, burning 940 calories in 65 minutes with a max heart rate of 190. (And lived to tell about it.)
- Had a smoothie that included kale as an ingredient — and what’s more impressive, I loved it.
- Have moved into the “more advanced” small group class. (Wow, couch potato to advanced training.)
- Found out TRX bands can provide an absolutely fantastic full-body workout!
- Discovered that I have biceps.
- Discovered that there are literally hundreds of exercises you can do on stability balls (and I’ve done them all).
- Found out you can do squats and lunges every day with your trainer.
- Discovered that chia seeds are an awesome addition to your diet but get stuck in your teeth a lot.
- Realized that variety in food and workouts makes a huge difference.
- Discovered that decks of cards can be turned into sheer workout torture. (Thank you, 28-Day Challenge Class at Harbor.)
- Who knew healthy options could be so good — and that I wouldn’t miss Diet Coke that much?
- Found out that cardio workouts at 5 a.m. aren’t that bad.
- Learned that the trainers at Harbor Athletic Club are absolutely fantastic, especially Jamie and Becky!